Monday 10 February 2014

CRC - The Challenge Ahead

Click Image for source of information.
Yesterday, I completed a challenge walk with 14 other participants. Fifteen and a half miles from Hathasage over to Bakewell.  The reason why it was such a challenge was because of the conditions, and the furthest distance I have covered in recent months was a journey of four miles. The rhythm of walking, running and swimming seems to have escaped me ever since my wife was retired on ill-health from my Probation Trust, which I suppose left us both adjusting to another challenge. Anyway, the paths were quagmires or streams, the streams were rivers, and the rivers were raging torrents. My wife's newly installed wet room proved to be a great end to the challenge, while warming up under a hot shower, I discovered a handy little shelf for my bottle of lager. 
The last leg at Great Shackleton Wood and the landmark of an old watermill  of yesterday's world.
I am now adjusting myself to the challenge of working in a Community Rehabilitation Company and with the new Offender Rehabilitation Bill which on the positive side should give plenty of extra work, but on the negative side will leave behind the landmark of a quality public service. 

My previous highly rated Senior Probation Officer is now the chief of the new Community Rehabilitation Company in my area, and has told me that she intends to make a go of things. I was able to suggest that she provide as much information for staff regarding the Community Rehabilitation Company, as soon as possible. 

It's an emotional experience to be on the last leg, and at the end of an era. As I said previously I am very thankful for being able to have had an input within a national landmark such as the Probation Service, but for personal reasons I am even more thankful for the output of the Probation Service in general. 

I can't agree with the idea of the privatisation of the Probation Trusts for reasons expressed in previous blogs, but I now have to prepare myself for the course this government has taken, and for my place in an eventual privatised company.

One consolation I have is that whatever happens, I reckon I will be with good colleagues, my new Chief Officer included.

Assistant Chief Officer, Marilyn Harrison seems to have the same view as me when she says, "I have elected the CRC whilst I don't believe in splitting Offender management. I do believe in the staff that will come with me".

The following phrase has been important to me, from around the time I was a criminal who had a personal  "Damascus Road" experience, over thirty years ago now in Cardigan House Probation Hostel - it's the phrase, "All's well that ends well".  
I know the phrase is the title of a Shakespearean play, but for me it speaks of a hoped for end time, while in the midst of difficult times.

Recently, I did a training course entitled, "Preparing for Change" which was provided by my Probation Trust which helped to remind me of what's important in my life, and that there is more to me than my employment.

Now one thing is for sure, I don't like this government, or agree with it's policies.

But:
  • If the government demolishes a quality part of my history, I'm still going to aim for "All's Well That End's Well". 
  • If I'm going to be made redundant as soon as my Community Rehabilitation Company is purchased by the cheapest bidder,  I'm still aiming for "All's Well That Ends Well". 
  • If the conditions of my employment are whittled away, I'm still aiming for "All's Well That Ends Well".  
  • If profit takes precedent over people, I'm still aiming for "All's Well That End's Well". 
In my book, "All's Well That Ends Well" just means sticking to the road I've chosen as a person. I've always given my best in Probation and will do the same in my Community Rehabilitation CompanyTransforming Rehabilitation may not end well, but that is outside my sphere of influence.

As somebody rightly said, Transforming Rehabilitation is an "Unwelcome Choice", and I have now chosen to accept the challenge ahead, of working in my Community Rehabilitation Company, and I will do my best from the outset, even in choppy waters!
When the waters get choppy, keep swimming!






3 comments:

  1. I admire you personally - you have the spirit of determination to make the best of very difficult life situations which are the every day world of probation workers.

    However, I fear that, as I understand it the design of of TR makes good resolutions almost impossible, because of the consequences of effectively having 'two ploughs in one furrow'.

    My concern is that good intentioned probation folk - will make it work for the clients, rather than see it and the lives involved collapse, so that it struggles on for too long before foreclosure becomes inevitable.

    I just encourage all involved to ensure they keep up their union subscriptions because when things go wrong, 'they' will try to shift blame on to practitioners - as we have seem so many times before.

    I had frustrations with Napo, down the years but when I was in personal need, they negotiated for me with one consequence being I am alive today, which may not have otherwise been the case. I was ill and obstinate and not representing myself well, I needed the experience of folk who understood probation and employment law to gently get me through it.

    Andrew Hatton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. Simon Garden here again. Just really to second what Andrew says. While I'm,uh, somewhat less than happy with NAPO's leaders and the ways this campaign has been (not) fought - some of you may have spotted this - I too have had invaluable assistance from local NAPO representation when I've needed it. I don't like to think of individuals losing out at a local level for want of the right support when the time comes because they've dumped the union due to our present frustrations with the broader picture. Things definitely have to change but in the interim it's likely that any of us - many of us? - met yet need to call on what support is still available if and when the meetings with HR start...

    ReplyDelete