Saturday 15 March 2014

Rambling Thoughts


This blog started as a rant about the way the government are dealing with me and my colleagues in Probation-land. More people have visited my blog than I imagined, and I keep bumping into people who have read a blog entry, and then made positive comment. The blog has helped me to come to terms with Transforming Rehabilitation, and given me stronger views which are opposed to the privatisation of public services. But the mystery of TR is still unexplained, and  it's  full impact upon probation colleagues is unexplainable - it does not add up, or make any sense.

I suppose I have got a policy of just having a go at the coalition government, who I see as fair game, and so unlikeable, rather than having a go at individuals. Also, I personally do have respect for my top managers in my trust, who I know don't like TR, and who have done their fair share of communicating to MP etc about their concerns. But TR is what it is, and we have been forced to move forward with it.




Today, I listened to the radio which was playing old extracts from Tony Benn speeches, and I agreed whole-heartedly with him, that government needs to be by the people and for the people. Rather than a government by the rich, for the rich. 

Like many of my colleagues, I was expecting the House of Lords outcome, but when it came I was still gutted, and left feeling deflated. Transforming Rehabilitation is now legally established and the split will go ahead. 

After the sale of the CRC's, if there is a sale, I expect to lose my job, as I believe that part of TR is about the government employing big business to make me redundant, in order to give my job to a lower paid worker. I could be wrong, because sometimes I am, but time will tell.

I must admit I struggle with the demands of both home and work together. My wife's early retirement due to Multiple Sclerosis, has increased my responsibilities at home, and Transforming Rehabilitation has increased my responsibilities at work. My own struggle with dyslexia has also made me fear that my own capabilities might not cope with the demands set before me. Maybe, I should not fear redundancy, as I have paid for my home, and love being there, but I do fear being cast aside, and having little hope for the future in regards to future employment.

Being an ex-prisoner has never been an issue at work really, as the Probation Service employed me, in part, because of my history, at a time when the POP's teams were being created. One of my proudest achievements was to work beside police officers for near on ten years, and to be able to work together in a positive way. I still remember the way a bit of praise for progress made from a police officer, towards a client could help give a person real get up and go as they worked towards positive change. 

Things have moved on in Probation-land from when I could really get alongside clients by:  doing lots of home visits; playing badminton; going running, swimming and walking as part of an intense program. My wife then a PO, aways used to say that I had one of the best PSO jobs in the service, and she was right. 

Training was given to me in abundance, and I was one of the first PSO's to complete the NVQ. I remember that I was always asking for permission from my SPO to take training days, for which I was entitled. My SPO eventually said, "just take what you need, you don't have to ask for permission, I know that you wont take advantage", and I didn't, but I appreciated the trust which was extended to me. However, I then applied for the PO training, and passed the presentation with flying colours, but my achille's heal of putting thoughts into writing let me down, and I was told that the written exercise gave concerns about my ability to cope with the studies. I then completed two of the modules of the PO training with good passes, which to my mind proved that I could study at the level required, but alas, it was not enough to get me on the course, and I watched many of my PSO colleagues progress with their further development. 

So training days are over, and the task ahead, which is going to be a considerable one, I think,  will be just keeping  up with changes and the programs introduced by Transforming Rehabilitation. When the task is complete, I think that this will lead to my redundancy. Happen, I haven't got a very positive employment outlook, but this government has clouded over any positive outlook I have had (and I know I'm not alone in this).

I'm on leave from work now for the next two weeks, and have left my colleagues angry at the Celebration Of Achievement conference which has been set up by management. Many people in my office don't want to go, and there is talk of boycotting it. I personally don't have a problem with celebrating the many achievements of the Probation Service, and separating all that positive stuff from Transforming Rehabilitation.  However, I'm on leave so will not be attending.

Anyway, I've just read what I've written, and realised that I am a better writer, when I'm quoting other people, and I've got a bit of structure. But it is what it is, just like TR which is impacting so many public servants, in so many ways, and I've just ended up with a few rambling thoughts.









1 comment:

  1. Powerful stuff David. You get readers because it's worth reading, and writing is therapy. It's kept me going and off anti-depressants for the last few years. Look forward to more!

    ReplyDelete