Monday 9 December 2013

Unfolding Chaos, Impending Risk.



I have been reading time and time again of fantastic work the Probation Trusts are doing in different areas, which impacts people’s lives in different ways, as well as giving  a positive influence to society at large.

But there are many voices in my Workplace and on the Facebook, Twitter that make it very clear that  the pace of the Transforming Rehabilitation is causing probation staff to struggle  and the wheels are beginning to fall off the "business as usual" cart.

Some people are struggling with stress but managing to carry on, and some have had to take sick leave

Some many colleagues are disillusioned and sick to death of hearing about TR, NOMS and Chris Grayling.

Some are finding the every day tasks that they have been doing for years are getting more difficult to do because its difficult to focus on the tasks in hand.

All of use are struggling with the pace of change and learning to cope with new systems and software.

Hear the voices from different public servants, and Minsiter Grayling just tells us that this is just a Transforming Rehabilitation evolution, and not a revolution (of impending chaos):


  • “I'm sat at home writing this, due in the office in 15 minutes. I don't feel I can go into work anymore. I was once motivated, enthused and proud of my work. Now I am drained, now I am anxious, now I am sick in a way I have never known. This is the human cost Christopher Stephen Grayling”.



  •  “I wish I could tweet you a pic of my desk right now & all the work I have on the go.  Will drop one soon no doubt. When you're so swamped with work it's usually contact with clients that gets reduced.  It's wrong & I don't approve but it's reality now.”



  • Too many documents, too many emails, too much to process - and all this whilst managing cases who pose a risk to others and themselves. What else have I missed, I wonder? What will Mon morning bring this time? …….. I can't afford to lose track, yet here we are being bombarded by paperwork and choices



  • I have been with the service for 15 years. It used to be a job that I enjoyed and until "work to rule" I did not appreciate how much extra hours I have done for my employer.


Yes, Minister Grayling, in my opinion, people are struggling and the wheels are beginning to fall off the “business as usual” cart, and that is going to affect the performance of an excellent service. Just today someone was reporting that there are now people who are of significant risk who are not be supervised, as they should be because of Transforming Rehabilitation. Everybody seems to know that a cart with out a wheel is a risky business!


Robin Verso, the Warwickshire probation trust chairman, has said, "Our assessment is that performance is bound to be damaged and that public protection failures will inevitably increase."

Gillian Wilmott, the chair of the Derbyshire probation trust, has said breaking up the Probation service would lead to "more systemic risks and more preventable serious attacks and deaths".

Jane Wilson, chair of the Leicestershire and Rutland probation trust, the speed and rashness of Transforming Rehabilitation would "serious implications for service delivery and therefore increases the risk to public safety".


There are so many voices that speak plainly about the chaos that is to unfold and the risk to the public

Earlier today I read that  I read that the Probation Association said on the 4th December, “Chris Grayling is asked what steps being taken to mitigate risks to public. He says he hasn’t seen any evidence of risk to business as usual”

I’ve been around long enough to know a good idea when I see one, but in my eyes, TR is a half baked idea, which is being rammed through a great pace and it is hurtful to my colleagues, and just  plain old risky.

There is a risk of insufficient support for ill thought idea of TR by management, MoJ and Chris Grayling, which will lead to a failure of progress and design.

*There is a risk that the cost of the objectives cannot be met and there will be huge failure and extra cost to the taxpayer.

There is a risk that our operational performance will lead to operational failure, and damage to a good and excellent service.

There is a risk that market competition will lead to the Government accepting any old bid that do not reflect value for money.


I'm saddened to see the unfolding chaos, and the impending risk, and and I close with the words from the resignation letter of Tim Young who was a Probation Board member, "it is only because I am so committed and passionate about the work of the Service that I feel that I have not option but to step aside, so that I can campaign with others, to stop or, at least, delay the governments deeply flawed and dangerous plans....someone will be killed who would not otherwise have been killed as a result of these changes.

Favourite Tweets


1. Probation Staff under Pressure: “@PoOfficer: I wish I could tweet you a pic of my desk right now & all the work I have on the go. Spinning lots of plates. Will drop one soon no doubt.”

2. Report of impact of Probation: “@JoMeadCX: 3/4 of offenders have positive experience. #dedicatedprobationstaff #derbyshire Transforming lives reducing crime http://t.co/CiuiQyZs8a”

3. TR Ill-founded: “@joekuipers: #TRconference Lord Ramsbotham critical of motivations for TR and lack of testing. Focus on 2015 elections as driver. Says not based on facts”

4. TR confusion: “@WillyGilder: >>NAPO members say they are being told they will work for a new Rehabilitation Co. without knowing who that company is.”

5. Probation assist people to change: “@JanRo_Ltd: @WalesProbation 2 learners are in line for jobs and have attended to finish their C.V whilst completing qualifications in Cardiff probation.”

6. Positive impact on the Community: “@WalesProbation: On Sunday 6 #Swansea Probation service users collected 41 bags of rubbish in the Baenymaes area #probation #wales http://t.co/gbCx8wRoLz”.


Favourite U Tube Clip


NAPO members at Luton Probation recorded on 5th November with inspiring determination. video.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW1vQRj6u-k

Favourite Articles

1. NHS in crisis: Retired nurses asked to return to work as staffing deficit takes toll. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nhs-crisis-retired-nurses-asked-2904148#.UqXZnNDG7PA.twitter

2. Prisons invite 3,000 staff they paid off to rejoin in new jobs http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article3941074.ece

3. Birmingham council says it may soon be unable to fund statutory services, http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/dec/09/birmingham-council-unable-fund-statutory-services?CMP=twt_fd

4. Big society policy not suited for deprived communities, says think-tank. http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/dec/09/big-society-deprived-david-cameron-charitable-wealthy

5. George Osborne's economic policy: more poverty, worse public services. http://www.theguardian.com/business/economics-blog/2013/dec/08/george-osborne-economic-policy-poverty-public-services

6. A clever response to Chris Grayling’s open letter on a new Blog: http://50shadesofgrayling.wordpress.com/2013/12/08/a-response-to-chris-graylings-open-letter/






No comments:

Post a Comment