Tuesday 14 January 2014

"All's Well That Ends Well"


I have been hoping that today some good news would come out of parliament regarding the privatisation of the Probation Trusts. But it seems that it was not to be, I suspected as much as I thought the move to dismantle the Probation Trusts is a very strong one. 

It's an emotional experience to be nearly at the end of an era. As I said previously I am very thankful for being able to have had an input within the life of the Probation Service, but for personal reasons I am even more thankful for the output of the Probation Service in general. 

As a PSO who is now a case-manager and who was determined not to express an interest in NPS/CRC, I know where I will be going even before it is announced later this month by my Probation Trust.

I can't agree with the idea of the privatisation of the Probation Trusts for reasons expressed in previous blogs, but I now have to prepare myself for the course this government is taking, and for my place in an eventual privatised company.

One consolation I have is that whatever happens, I reckon I will be with good colleagues.

Anyway, tonight I was thinking of a phrase that has been important to me, from around the time I was a criminal who had a personal  "damascus road" experience, over thirty years ago now in Cardigan House Probation Hostel - it's the phrase, "All's well that ends well".  



I know the phrase is the title of a Shakespearian play, but for me it speaks of a hoped for end time, while in the midst of difficult times.
Recently, I did a training course entitled, "Preparing for Change" which was provided by my Probation Trust. I seem to remember commenting negatively, with poor terminology, on the "On Probation Blog" that I was able to cope with change, but I needed to know what the change is! Little did I know that my CEO was an avid reader of the blog, and I received a telephone call the next morning about criticising the provided course. I seem to remember pointing out to my CEO that it's no good offering a thirsty person an empty cup!

Every so often I get put into that position where I have to eat a bit of humble pie, and after doing the "Preparing for Change" training I came to such an occasion. I had decided that I would register for the course, and to my surprise it was really helpful, because it helped to remind me of what's important in my life, and that there is more to me than my employment.

Now one thing is for sure, I don't like this government, or agree with it's policies (and I cant see me eating humble pie over that one!)

But:
  • If the government demolishes a quality part of my history, I'm still going to aim for "All's Well That End's Well". 
  • If  I'm going to be made redundant as soon as my CRC is purchased by the cheapest bidder,  I'm still aiming for "All's Well That Ends Well". 
  • If the conditions of my employment are whittled away, I'm still aiming for "All's Well That Ends Well".  
  • If profit takes precedent over people, I'm still aiming for "All's Well That End's Well". 

In my book, "All's Well That Ends Well" just means sticking to the road I've chosen as a person. I've always given my best in Probation. As somebody rightly said, Transforming Rehabilitation is an unwelcome choice, but if I accept my allocation I will have to do the same from the outset.  







1 comment:

  1. Blimey David - just shows the power of blogging - even CEO's read them!

    Cheers,

    Jim

    ReplyDelete